H.323 Overhead

Gary Sullivan garysull at MICROSOFT.COM
Sun Feb 13 15:21:46 EST 2000

I don't entirely agree with the video comments below.
Video codecs operating at low bit rates typically vary
their frame rate (and thus their GOB rate) depending on
the degree of visual activity in the scene.  The overhead
from H.323 packetization is far from negligible.

Packetization schemes for video often allow the encoder
to decide how much data to place in each packet.
For example, RFC 2429 for H.263 allows up to a full picture
in one packet.  (It also allows the picture to be chopped
into multiple packets if desired.)  The larger the packet size,
the lower the overhead (and the higher the delay).

The overhead is *not* negligible -- I believe each H.323 packet
adds a minimum of 40 bytes of overhead.

(Stephan Wenger would be the authority on the packet overhead.)

Some packetization schemes (see RFC 2190) advocate using
a packet for every GOB.  That's a bad idea.  If you're running
CIF resolution H.263 (18 GOBs per picture) at 15 frames per
second, and if I'm right about the 40 bytes overhead per GOB,
then that seems to work out to 86.4 kbits per second just for
the overhead if you send each GOB in its own packet.  That
overhead rate is enough to send a second CIF resolution H.263
video stream!

-Gary Sullivan