Description of EndpointAlias in URQ??

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at ISDN-COMMS.CO.UK
Fri Feb 11 12:33:04 EST 2000

Frank,

>   Frank> The "explanatory" text of the EndpointAlias element in the
>   Frank> URQ message, contains the following sentence: "The E.164
>   Frank> address, if assigned, is required. " This sentence would seem
>   Frank> to indicate that if I am unregistering, I always have to
>   Frank> unregister the assigned E.164 address??? The sentence that
>   Frank> follows, contradicts this: "Only values listed here are
>   Frank> unregistered; this allows, for example, an H323_ID to be
>   Frank> unregistered while leaving the E.164 address registered."
>
>   Frank> What is the intention of this sentence? Should I simply
>   Frank> ignore it?
>
> IMO, the sentence means "The E.164 address, if assigned [dynamically
> by the GK during registration procedure], is required".

I wonder what this is doing here at all...

Action that I consider sensible at a gatekeeper:
If any aliases are mentioned in URQ, just unregister those aliases; if no
aliases are mentioned, unregister the user altogether (ie all aliases).

Action I consider sensible at an endpoint:
Mention all aliases that are currently registered!

This may or may not tally with the way people read the spec!!!

Regards
Chris
--
Dr Chris Purvis -- Development Manager
ISDN Communications Ltd, The Stable Block, Ronans, Chavey Down Road