Third party registration/group registration

Agboh, Charles Charles.Agboh at GTS.COM
Thu Dec 7 11:00:29 EST 2000

Chris
Some applicaitons of third-party registration

-secretary mode, where the secretary registers the current location
(e.g., tel:) for his boss;

- voicemail, where the voicemail system registers itself as a branch
location

regards,

charles
-----Original Message-----
From: Agboh, Charles
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 3:57 PM
To: ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
Subject: Re: Third party registration/group registration

Chris,

Some ideas about why I think this could be a useful feature.....

It is the concept of third-party registration that I believe is not clearly
(if at all) specified in H.323.  "In third-party registration, the entity
issuing the request is different from the entity being registered."  This is
not equivalent to hunting down the list of alternateEnpoints for an Endpoint
I am trying to reach.    The key to this is who is requesting the binding
between an alias address and a transport address.

The entity making the request is using resources of the GK.  The GK may view
the entity that is  being registered as a client of the entiry that made the
request and may send CDRs  correlating the three parties entities.  The
3rd-party (as paul called it: the entity making the request) may be charged
for using the GKs resources.

Even though my friend bob has an H.323 complaint EP that is capable of
registering itself, I (3rd-party: as paul called it) can register bobs alias
at my GK and my GK will send CDRs to me at the end of *our* conference.
Bob may inheret some of my priveleges as a result of my action.

I don't have all the possible applications of this feature on my radar.

Best regards,

charles