Fast Connect & Bi Directional channels

Sasha Ruditsky sasha at TLV.RADVISION.COM
Thu Dec 14 02:35:54 EST 2000

Hi Bob

First of all I disagree that the caller determine the logicalChannelNumber
for the channels from callee to caller, H.323 in 8.1.7.1 states:
When accepting a proposed channel for transmission from called endpoint to
calling endpoint, the called endpoint shall return the corresponding
OpenLogicalChannel structure to the calling endpoint, inserting a unique
forwardLogicalChannelNumber into the OpenLogicalChannel structure ...

And the standard states nothing about forwardLogicalChannelNumber in the
proposal for such channel.

So the calling entity allocates forwardLCN for channels transmitted on which
it will transmit.
The caller that wants to associate the accepted OLC with proposed OLC may do
this only using dataType parameter and BTW this is one of the reasons why
this parameter should be never changed by called entity.
BUT, From the other hand I do agree that making forward and reverse LCN
equal will work.
And to be honest this is probably the least ugly solution known till know.

Unfortunately, it will require from the implementation of callee the
sophisticated LCN allocation mechanism that allows allocation of LCNs while
taking into account the fact that some of LCNs were preallocated for bi
directional channels by the caller.
Fortunately, as for now, there is just one such LCN possible!

Sasha