Third party registration/group registration

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at ISDN-COMMS.CO.UK
Fri Dec 1 11:57:33 EST 2000

All,

I think on the matter of whether the standards permit H.323 entities to
continue to operate unregistered in an environment where there is a gatekeeper,
in two cases:
1. They have discovered the gatekeeper, but have been rejected by either GRJ or
RRJ.
2. No attempt has been made to discover a gatekeeper.

I have a view.  Paul Long has a view.  I have a different view.  These differ.
I believe, however, that whichever view prevails, one must, and this must be
through the standards themselves.  Common usage can not decide this, as it's a
question of whether something is permitted by the standard.  I could draw up a
very quick proposal (<= 1/2 page) for the next ITU meeting, but I will not be
able to come and present it.   To help the experts at the meeting to come to
the right decision, however, opposing proposals probably ought to be presented
properly by their authors, giving the two viewpoints.  Any volunteers (Rick?
Paul J?  As editors of the relevant standards?)?

Regards,
Chris

--
Dr Chris Purvis -- Development Manager
ISDN Communications Ltd, The Stable Block, Ronans, Chavey Down Road

listserv at mailbag.intel.com