Parlay

Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO rrroy at ATT.COM
Tue Aug 29 09:13:05 EDT 2000

Hi, Paul:

I understand your points, and we also believe that we should work for
version 3, but it would be nice if we could finish for  version 2 first.
Presently, my company (AT&T), like many other companies, has also
difficulties to get version 3 implemented because of problems as stated
earlier.

However, we all realize that version 3 is needed and will be working for
version 3 immediately as soon as we finish our work for version 2.

I also like to point out that we are working for the informational RFCs and
hope that we can produce the interworking spec for version 3 very quickly
once we finish the same for version 2. My guess is that version 3 needs some
incremental changes from those of version 2. So, I think that the work for
version 3 can be completed quickly.

Hope that this will answer your questions.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy
AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul E. Jones [mailto:paulej at packetizer.com]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2000 11:53 PM
To: Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO; sip-h323 at egroups.com;
ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com
Subject: Re: [sip-h323] SIP-H.323 interworking Requirements Draft

Radhika,

A few months ago, I published the final set of ASN.1 corrections for H.323v3
to the ITU-T SG16 mailing list and to the IMTC H.323 mailing list.  I also
contact 11 companies that have H.323v3 products or products in development
that I was aware of.

There are certainly plenty of v3 implementations in progress and it's
important to be prepared for those implementations.  H.323v4 will be
approved in November and I expect even quicker adoption of that
Recommendation, because it introduces a lot of new functionality.

I think what the group should try to strive for is a specification that will
work with the most recent version of H.323-- H.323v4.  Of course there will
be few implementations, but there are not a large number of new mandatory
features.  (I don't have a list handy.)

For a "bigger picture" view of what's new in the various versions of H.323,
see:
http://www.packetizer.com/iptel/h323/

Best Regards,
Paul