IP Telecom Services Workshop 2000: Final Call for Participation

Gregory W. Bond bond at RESEARCH.ATT.COM
Mon Aug 28 13:39:52 EDT 2000

At the meeting just concluded, you described and criticized a contribution
to 3GPP2, naming Nortel Networks as the contributor.  In the process, you
managed to imply that Nortel was less than competent, that 3GPP2 was
gullible, and that no other company provided a contribution favouring the
eventual 3GPP2 decision.

I have to assume that in doing so you felt it your duty as Q.13/16
Rapporteur to publicly admonish a major company that supports the use of
H.323 only in the enterprise environment.  Any other interpretation of your
motives would imply immediately that you had abused your position as
Rapporteur on behalf of your employer or for personal reasons.

However, I would argue that even with the stated motive, your actions were
improper within the context of an ITU-T meeting.  The ITU-T (unlike many
private fora) is neither a marketing organization nor a religious exercise.
In our respective domains, both Francois Audet and I have made significant
contributions to the work of Study Group 16 on behalf of our employer.

You have performed your work as Rapporteur with great skill, and we all
appreciate it.  This does not give you the right to use your position as a
pulpit to denounce sinners.  I would hope that on reflection you agree and
are prepared to say so publicly.

Tom Taylor
Nortel Networks