[sip-h323] SIP-H.323 IWF protocol requirements

Paul E. Jones paulej at PACKETIZER.COM
Tue Aug 29 15:48:02 EDT 2000

Jean-Francois,

Here are a few benefits for using v3:

H.323v3 introduces new fields to allow the GK to signal whether Annex E
should be used or not.  For build large-scale devices, Annex E is definitely
worth considering.  (Annex E was written for V2, but related RAS fields were
added in v3.)

It is possible to use the same TCP connection for multiple calls.

Text was added to explain the use of Lightweight RRQs (this may have been in
the IG, but I can't recall).  A number of things are better explained,
revisions have been made via the IG that may result in interworking issues
if the latest texts (including the IG are not followed).  Indeed, things
should be backward compatible, but the clarifications are important, as they
were obviously points of confusion.

Version 4 has even more.  Here's a few:
  * Gateway decomposition section
  * Support for new services and features
      * Annex L, Annex K, H.450.x, etc.
      * Generic Extensibility Framework
  * Additive Registrations
  * Alternate Gatekeeper usage fully defined
  * Usage Information Reporting
  * Endpoint Capacity Reporting
  * Desired protocol indication
  * Reporting call status with multiple IRRs
  * Call Linkage
  * Early H.245
  * Support for pre-paid calling cards

You can definitely see some advantages to v4.  Probably the most important
introduction in V4 is the Generic Extensibility Framework.  With that, we
can now add new features to the H.323 protocol specification that the
signaling entities in the middle of the call can remain completely ignorant
about.  This allows us to add new features that work end to end without
forcing the intermediate equipment to be updated-- that's one very good
reason for moving to v4.  It's quite possible that v4 may serve as the
minimum specification for some time to come.

Of course, this was possible before with "non-standard" mechanisms, but it
is hoped that the GEF will introduce fewer ripples in the H.323
standardization effort and the software development cycle.

This extensibility framework may also serve well for feature interaction
between SIP and H.323.  I realize that feature interaction is not an
immediate goal, but it's nice to have the foundation in place to try to
utilize it.

That's why I suggested at the meeting to go with the latest: v4.  It's true
that the differences between v2 and v3 are small, but a few scalability
issues were addressed.  Since signaling interworking is not a major CPU
consumer, I would think you'd want to take every possible step to increase
the number of calls handled on a single box. That could easily go over the
number of sockets the box can support.  So using Annex E or carrying
multiple calls over a call signaling channel is desirable.

Of course, I realize that NetMeeting does not support these features, but I
think that heavier consideration should be given to other H.323 entities.  I
cannot recommend trying to offer residential phone service using H.323v2
where SIP interworking is required: it's not nearly as scalable as v3 since
SIP interworking forces all calls to be directed to one box or a few boxes.
SIP works well there, but one really needs Annex E/H.323 to get comparable
scaling ability from H.323.

Paul