17 April Mobility Conf call notes

Guram Paul-LPG019 lpg019 at EMAIL.MOT.COM
Tue Apr 18 11:18:32 EDT 2000

Hi all

The reason why the use of the word 'home' is somewhat acceptable to me for
use with zone (and hence gatekeeper) is what Jaakko has explained, i.e. a
user subscribes to his administrative domain, which is called the home
administrative domain.  Thus one could extend the use of this word for zone
and gatekeeper.  Whilst this would seem reasonable, as I understood
yesterday, if during further discussions we see no real merit in identifying
a zone or gatekeeper with such a label then we will remove 'home' from the
figure, i.e. the word home will only have meaning in Annex H when used in
home location function, home administrative domain (and later on, when we
get to it, virtual home environment).

                From:   Jaakko Sundquist [mailto:jaakko.sundquist at NOKIA.COM]
                Sent:   18 April 2000 16:06
                To:     ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com
                Subject:        Re: 17 April Mobility Conf call notes

                Hi Radhika & Laurent,

                See my comments embedded...

                > The contributions and explanations have been provided why
                > "Home" is needed
                > in the same context of "Home" domain.

                The Home Administrative Domain came about because it seemed
a good idea to
                bind the subscription of a User to some administrative
entity (such as an
                operator). At the same time we have defined the HLF as the
only place in
                which location information about the user can always be
found (albeit
                clearer definitions about this information are still
needed). Thus the
                domain containing the HLF of the user was in effect defined
as the Home
                Administrative Domain of the user.

                > If we do not accept the "home" for GK, zone and home
network
                > address, we
                > have serious problems to accept the word "home" in any
place
                > of mobility
                > whether it is "home" Adm domain.

                I do not follow your reasoning above at all. Concidering a
home GK or zone,
                I can understand that they may be needed if the service
execution is done in
                the "home" of the user, i.e. all calls for a user would be
controlled by the
                same GK, namely the home GK of the user. For service
execution in the
                Visited Administrative Domain, I do not see any reason, why
the concept of a
                home GK would be needed. Furthermore, if a concept is not
definitely needed,
                I will not want to define it. I also feel we need to examine
and define the
                "service execution in the home environment" or "virtual home
environment"
                model better, so that everyone understands, what it is all
about.
                As for the need for a home Network Point of Attachment, I am
waiting for
                your contribution that clarifies, why we would need it.

                > I have very a serious objection with your idea that the
word
                > home should not
                > be used. If it is so, let us NOT use "home" anywhere in
the document.

                The point is that so far, if I understand Laurent correctly,
neither he or I
                have accepted the concepts of home GK or home Network Point
of Attachment.
                Those are the terms that we would not like to see in the
picture.

                > It is an OPTION to use "home". If anyone does NOT like it,
                > they may NOT use
                > it. Time and again, it has been shown why it is needed.
                >
                > It will be very difficult to make any meaningful progress
                > unless we are in
                > consistent in defining term terms.
                >
                > I like to see contributions explaining why "Home" should
NOT be used.

                I do not want to see contributions telling what terms SHOULD
NOT be defined,
                I want to see contributions telling why some terms SHOULD be
defined. So far
                I haven't seen such contributions on home NPoA and I'm still
not sure about
                the home GK either.

                -Jaakko