17 April Mobility Conf call notes

Roy, Radhika R, ALARC rrroy at ATT.COM
Tue Apr 18 17:28:59 EDT 2000

Hi, Laurent:

Please see the earlier emails sent by me, Ed, and Paul as well.

I guess that you are not understanding the other side of the coin. It has
been explained earlier.

No one is saying where the "services" to be EXECUTED using some mandatory
criteria. You are jumping much ahead of everyone by saying that home CSCF
will be used to execute the services. Who knows ahead of time how many ways
a service can be executed? We are NOT standardizing "services" per se. We
are standardizing the protocol to support mobility. We MUST Not be MANDATING
that the protocol should be used to execute a service in a given way. We
MUST not be mandating how a HLF will accessed by using ONLY a given
particular call flow (for example, AT&T's contributions show 3 different
ways, while your contribution shows only one way for a particular scenario).
A protocol can used to create many services depending on the relationship
between the service providers and users. No one should ever dream to
"hard-wire" a protocol feature for execution of services. It will be totally
against the "norm" of development of the protocol.

The important point is that a subscriber needs to store some information:
Home/Visited/Visiting/Target GK/zone/network address (point of attachment).
It is an OPTION. If you do not like this, you are NOT forced to use it. It
is your choice.

Who has given the right that a subscriber will NOT be able to register the
information related Home/Visited/Visiting/Target GK/zone/network address
(point of attachment) if they want to? This information, like all other
parameters, will be stored in the HLF/VLF as appropriate.

Contributions are there: D.354, MD-017, and MD-018 in explaining the
benefits and subsequent emails have also explained (please also see Ed's and
Paul Guram's emails) the benefits that could be realized. If Alcatel does
NOT want to use those OPTIONs, no one will force it. It is your choice.

As I explained yesterday's conference (also Ed explained in his email),
there is very little value to use term like home adm domain unless the
information like
Home/Visited/Visiting/Target GK/zone/network address (point of attachment)
is stored in the HLF/VLF as appropriate.

So, if people disagree with this concept, contributions are needed to
understand. So far, no one has provided any contributions in explaining the
things why they are opposing the concept. In fact, like AT&T, Motorola has
also submitted contribution in supporting the concept of
Home/Visited/Visiting/Target GK/zone/network address (point of attachment).

Hope this will clarify further. If you need to have any more clarifications,
please let me or other know.

Best regards,

Radhika R. Roy
AT&T