[H.323 Mobility:] questions on MTD-016

Jaakko Sundquist jaakko.sundquist at nokia.com
Thu Apr 13 09:49:07 EDT 2000

Hi Radhika et al,

I'm quite well aware that H.323 (as any communication protocol) is described
in the context of a network. In the case of H.323 all communications take
place on a packet based network.
>From H.323 Chapter 3: "3.34     packet based network (also network): Any
shared, switched, or point-to-point medium which provides peer-to-peer
communications between two or more endpoints using a packet based transport
protocol."

In other words H.323 defines "network" as the underlying means for
transporting H.323 protocols. I have nothing against that definition, but
inherent in this definition is the notion that this network does not have
any clear boundaries. I.e. all H.323 zones and domains that can communicate
with each other belong to the SAME network based on this definition.

Now, if we want to use the terms home/visited network, the question is:
What is the home network of a user? In other words what are the boundaries
in terms of network addresses, etc. of the part of the underlying network
(e.g. the Internet) that is defined as being the home network of the user.
Once we have defined the home network, we can, of course, easily define all
the other parts of the underlying network as visited network(s).

I have understood that most of the ad hoc group members have used the term
home network as a synonym for Home Administrative Domain (similarly for the
visited network/Domain). However, I understand that at least you, Radhika,
have a quite different view on this. My understanding is that according to
you there could be several "networks" even inside a zone, with perhaps one
of them being a user's home network (and the others visited networks for the
user). These two views are in contradiction to each other and that is why I
did not want to use these terms at least before they are clerly defined.

I'll also remind you that in the definitions of Annex H, the terms
Home/Visited/Serving Administrative Domain are already defined and thus no
ambiguity should arise when using them.

I hope this clarifies my worries.

-Jaakko