[Robustness] Modifying Annex E to support Robustness?

Paul E. Jones paul.jones at ties.itu.ch
Sat Apr 8 23:43:32 EDT 2000

Tim,

I am definitely giving consideration to using a modified Annex E/H.323.

Taking a broader view, I think that a connectionless approach is the right
solution.  I am considering both how Annex E or SCTP might satisfy the
requirements .

I am personally not at all in favor of the status inquiry/status message
exchange.  I have been working out the details of what I would like to see
and I have these goals:
  1) Keep the transport and applications layers as separate as possible
  2) Allow any entity to detect "next hop" failures and re-route
  3) Only require that the two endpoints in the call maintain the call
     state and bring each other "up to speed" once the connection has
     been re-established.
  4) Introduce a minimum amount of complexity-- complexity spells failure
     as far as I am concerned

I do not want any entity in the middle of the network to have to maintain
any state, though there will be messages queued for re-transmission at the
transport layer on those entities (something I don't think people would
object to).

I believe I have the beginnings of a solution worked out that will allow one
or more network entities to fail and we can still recover the call.  This
would, of course, require that all entities in the call signaling path
support the robustness procedure to work.

However, my solution would also allow intermediate nodes to act as the
terminating point of the "robustness chain" should part of the signaling
path support robustness and part does not.  For example, if NetMeeting were
used and a "robust" routed GK handled the call, the GK could handle the
robustness procedure on behalf of NetMeeting.  Unfortunately, trying to
support non-robust entities is problematic.  For example, if a non-robust
entity sends a message and there is a failed signaling point, it may take
some time to re-establish the link and transmit the message.  During that
time, the non-robust endpoint may assume the call has failed-- certainly,
timers on some messages may expire and the endpoint may terminate the call.
For this reason, I would say that support for non-robust entities would be
"best effort".

With that said, I think we can work out a solution that fully supports the
re-establishment of multipoint, audio/video conferences that have one or
multiple points of failure without introducing significant complication to
the endpoints.  Annex E may be a very good base upon which to build that
solution and I am examining it closely.  That is not to say that I have
dismissed SCTP, though.

Best Regards,
Paul