[Robustness] H.225 & H.245 state info

Paul E. Jones paul.jones at ties.itu.ch
Sun Apr 2 01:25:13 EST 2000

Terry,

This looks good.

You raised the issue that Release Complete may not be acknowledged and asked
what to do.

I'd like to take this opportunity (again) to raise a few points:
  1) There is a lot of call state information that should not be lost
     (You had a nice long list.)
  2) In addition to your list, in order to support robustness in a
     multipoint call, there are several more elements.
  3) I don't want to complicate the whole system with robustness.
     Robustness should be a natural extension and not burden to
     implement.
  4) Since we are doing this within the scope of V4 and higher,
     we have an opportunity to add some constraints to resolve
     issues such as "release complete".  In particular, I think
     we should consider requiring that robustness only work
     when using a "connectionless" protocol and that H.245
     shall be tunneled with the call signaling channel.  The
     connectionless protocol can guarantee delivery of the
     "release complete" message end to end.

Paul