RTCP sender reports - when to use?

Orit Levin orit at radvision.com
Thu Sep 16 16:30:22 EDT 1999

Hi Henri!
The answer is ... the RTCP channel is bi-directional even when opened to be
used for A->B RTP media stream only.

If A wants to send a stream going A->B, A originates the OLC procedure.
During this procedure B's  RTP port, B's RTCP port and A's RTCP ports are
exchanged between the sides.

For the same "kind" of media stream (such as "voice" or "video) usually B
would like to send a media stream going A<-B belonging to the same H.245
session opened above. In this case B will issue OLC advertising the same B's
RTCP port already used within this session.

As the result, two media unidirectional RTP channels and a single common
bi-directional RTCP channel will be opened within the same H.245 session.

Best Regards,
Orit Levin
RADVision Inc.
575 Corporate Drive Suite 420