Issues with H.235

Pete Cordell pete at TECH-KNOW-WARE.COM
Wed Sep 8 03:26:02 EDT 1999

Paul,

Your logic is correct.

I only attempted to provide you with a summary of the discussion in
Santiago.

There were a number of IEs that forbidden that were to be added in Berlin.
This, in part, came about from one possible solution for transporting QSIG
over H.323.  Because there was no resolution to the primary question, the IE
change was not accepted.  This question is scheduled to return at Red Bank.
That would be a good chance for your opinion to be heard.  The worst case is
that everything forbidden will be possible.

Bob

Robert Callaghan
Siemens Business Communication Systems
Tel: +1.561.997.3756    Fax: +1.561.997.3403
Email:  Robert.Callaghan at ICN.Siemens.com

From: Paul Long [mailto:plong at SMITHMICRO.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 3:13 PM
To: ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com
Subject: Re: Pathological bearer cap changes in H.225.0v3

Bob,

1. But there has never been a requirement that components of IEs be treated
like actual IEs. Where did this come from? This is a gross rationalization.
The Recommendation clearly states that this octet shall not be encoded.
Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable for an entity to assume that it will
never encounter this octet. Geez, what are standards for? What other
"shalls" will be relaxed in the future?

2. Even if IE components were to be treated like IEs--which they
cannot--this would still not justify the removal of this requirement.
H.225.0 says only that "unrecognized," e.g., new, IEs shall be ignored, not
that well-known but otherwise clearly prohibited ones shall be ignored,
which is what you are proposing.

But please prove me wrong. Show me in the H.225.0 Recommendation where it
says that 1. IE components, such as Octet 3a of bearer caps, shall be
treated like IEs and 2. that well-known but otherwise prohibited IEs shall
be ignored.

BTW, our products in particular are okay in this regard--they will ignore
optional IE fields, even the ones that are prohibited--so I'm not simply
trying rationalize something to keep our products from becoming
non-interoperable due to a bad design decision. It's just that I don't like
the precedent this sets that it's okay to "change the rules once the game
has started." I won't go on about this, though. I'm done.

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.