Pathological bearer cap changes in H.225.0v3

Pete Cordell pete at TECH-KNOW-WARE.COM
Tue Sep 7 16:05:41 EDT 1999

For the record, I agree with Paul.  The rational given for allowing octet 3a
is not sufficient to allow backward compatibility with an endpoint
conforming to v1, v2.

Perhaps it was wrong to not allow octet 3a.

It is wrong to allow something that was previously not allowed.

Two wrongs don't make a right!!!

Just for the record, I think in my implementation, it will be happy to have
as many octet 3a, 3b as you care to give it, but will just ignore them.  As
the standard says there WILL BE NO octet 3as etc, IMO that's quite a
legitimate implementation (just a case of being tolerant of what you get).

However, as it doesn't know about octet 3as, it will present the information
anyway.

Thus a valid set of decisions (made without hindsight) doesn't give the
results that are desired.  How can that be backward compatible???

Pete

Pete Cordell
pete at tech-know-ware.com