[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: H.323 mobility first draft]]] ]

Roy, Radhika R, ALARC rrroy at ATT.COM
Wed Sep 15 09:43:26 EDT 1999

Hi Ed:

I understand your approach. Your approach is an INTERWORKING between the
H.323 and PSTN-Wireless networking environment.

First, we need to solve all mobility problems in the H.323 layer. Once we
solve H.323 mobility problems in a transport independent way, we can then
implement that solution in a special "INTERWORKING" environment: H.323
system (e.g., IP network) with an interface (e.g., WAU) to the PSTN-wireless
system.

There are two steps: 1. Solve the mobility problems in H.323 layer
(Terminal, User, and Service Mobility) and 2. Implement the H.323 mobility
problems in specific networking environments for "Interworking".

The H.323 mobility problems solved in the H.323 layer should be applicable
for all circumstances. For example,

1. Mobile IP (IETF)
2. PSTN-wireless (PLMN)
3. Emerging mobile and wireless networks

That is, the general H.323 mobility solution will also complement the
solution that you are proposing. There may be some differences in approach
that you are proposing, but it (H.323 mobility) will achieve the same
objectives what your contribution is up to. In fact, I welcome your
contribution because it has provided us valuable insights of the mobility
problems in the context of H.323 and PSTN-Wireless networking environment.

Best regards,
Radhika