Pathological bearer cap changes in H.225.0v3

Paul Long plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Tue Sep 7 13:08:18 EDT 1999

I just took a look at the changes made to H.225.0v3 in Santiago. I noticed
that whereas octet 3a of Calling Party Number in Bearer caps "Shall not be
present" in H.225.0v1 and v2, it is allowed in v3! And this apparent
oversight was not rectified in Berlin after discussion on this reflector.
How will we now guarantee interoperability between v1, v2, and v3+ entities?
What if some v1 or v2 entities were implemented according to the
Recommendation and do not expect this octet to be present and indeed will
fail through no fault of their own? Several alternatives were presented back
in May. Why was the least interoperable solution kept?

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.