[Fwd: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: H.323 mobility first darft]]]

Edgar Martinez [1] martinze at CIG.MOT.COM
Thu Sep 2 07:56:57 EDT 1999

Dear All,

Very good questions:

I passing this email on because
MR. Binar questions highlights
some key issues.

Ed

FAQ's on IP wireless mobility.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: H.323 mobility first darft
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 17:15:17 -0400
From: "Edgar Martinez [1]" <martinze at cig.mot.com>
To: "BINAR, Simon" <binar at isd-nec.co.uk>

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your comments,
Please read on...

"BINAR, Simon" wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> I looked at the document, and I would have a couple of
> questions/comments about it.
>
> It seems to me that the draft provides the description of a complete
> wireless access system.

Yes, based on the SG16 Terms of reference.

> However, I don't understand the point of
> providing such a description, since wireless access systems suitable for
> multimedia communications are being specified elsewhere (3GPP).

Based on the Terms of reference and the  Ad-hoc meetings we had in SG16.
The assumptions where:

1. We will have H.323 wireless mobile handsets
2. We will provide IP mobility regardless of terminal type Fixed or
Wireless
3. We will interwork with the legacy wireless (Networks and Terminals)
    which includes handovers..

3GPP or 3GPP-2000 is based on GPRS and something called
the layered approach to the IP network. Which ready means
two separate networks one for IP and the other for mobility
connected via a GW. The RAN interface (Iu-ps) to the GPRS
network element is a lower layer ATM/AAL2 with IP on
the upper layer connected to E-SGSN switch.
I can not be convinced or believe that this is the pure
IP solution for wireless.

> Shouldn't the wireless access system rather be completely transparent to
> H.323 signalling?

It is completely transparent, take alway the WAU and the HZR
and you have your basic H.323 VoIP network.

> Additionally, it seems to me that the proposed architecture does not
> take into account mobility between fixed terminals. I can imagine
> situations whereby a user could take his SIM card from one fixed H.323
> terminal to another. In such a case, mobility support at the H.323
> application layer would be required, however, no wireless access system
> would be involved, and thus, components such as the WAU would not be
> required either...

Yes, you are right on the money, look at 8.2.1.5 "H.323 fixed terminal
registration in a visited IP network" which implies exactly what
you stated. The way it works from my research, is that the
IMIS is programed in to the SIM card. The user ID is the IMIS once
the user, that is, the IMIS is registered in the HZR.
The user can plug the SIM card with the proper IMIS
in a wireless terminal or fixed terminal. Please note that in the
two fixed case call flows both 8.2.1.5 and 8.2.1.6 no WAU are
used or shown. Only for the wireless cases.