G.723.1 vs. G.723

Sebestyen Istvan ICN WN ES SP 4 Istvan.Sebestyen at ICN.SIEMENS.DE
Wed Oct 6 11:46:11 EDT 1999

Paul,

G.723 was an old ITU-T Recommendation that has been withdrawn
and has nothing to do with G.723.1. So, when people today use
G.723 they usually mean G.723.1.

For the software version this is a bit confusing:
For the most current version it is best to look up the ITU-T Database:
http//www.itu.int.
Unfortunately, in the text of the Recommendation no reference is made to the
actual C-Code version (we have requested to have a better version control
for the future Recommendations). On the top of it since C-Code
is also a program (contains as many bugs as any other program...:-( ), in
some of the
past SG meeting bugs were corrected (so you have to go through the SG16
reports). I am not sure whether eventually the bug corrections have been
also
incorported into the C-Code that the ITU is currently selling as the latest
version. So, my message is that extrem care is needed not to miss
something.

Regards,
Istvan
Dr. Istvan Sebestyen