Call Clearing related

Chris Wayman Purvis cwp at ISDN-COMMS.CO.UK
Thu Oct 28 04:52:39 EDT 1999

Paul,

I support the intention, but I can understand why TD-17 would have had
problems.
I don't know of anybody closing the call-signalling channel while trying to
keep up calls, but I don't (and wouldn't expect to!) know about all products
everybody in the world is working on, and it's tricky with the ITU to introduce
something that will make future versions potentially incompatible with earlier
versions.

With the TD-17 text, an implementor of a new device would be justified in
believing that closure of a  call-signalling channel without ReleaseComplete
was always an error condition and hence that it should consider the call over.
The fact that at least some endpoints do this anyway is irrelevant - THEY are
not compliant with current versions of the recommendation.

However we can get round this, by the old adage of about being strict about
what you send and flexible about what you receive - in other words it needs to
be made clear that:
A v4 (or should I be talking about v5 yet?)-compliant device shall not close
the call-signalling channel without sending ReleaseComplete and closing the
call.
But...
In the event of the call-signalling channel being closed during a call, if:
a) there is an active connection-control (H.245) channel AND
b) no ReleaseComplete has been sent or received
THEN no error should be considered to have occurred and the call should
continue until EndSession is sent or received on the H.245 channel or the H.245
channel is closed.

I believe that this way we don't break interoperability with devices compliant
with current versions of the recommendation, while stopping closure of the
call-control channel in future (which will, for example, murder supplementary
services, as you say).

Incidentally, fast connect is a red herring in my opinion.  If there is no
separate H.245 channel then closing the call-control channel already terminates
the call.

IF anybody objects to the intention that future endpoints shall not close
call-signalling wihtout closing the call  could they PLEASE voice their
opinions on this mailing list!

A technical question on the second paragraph of your mail: how do endpoints
KNOW that they're connected directly rather than through a gatekeeper, in order
to decide whether they can (under the current system) drop the call-signalling
channel?

Regards,
Chris

--
Dr Chris Purvis -- Development Manager
ISDN Communications Ltd, The Stable Block, Ronans, Chavey Down Road