RTCP port number

El-Gebaly, Hani hani.el-gebaly at INTEL.COM
Fri Oct 22 14:01:48 EDT 1999

First, I apologize to the reflector if this question has been answered
multiple times before. Is there a FAQ for this mailing list?
IMO, option 1 is absolutely valid. Some apps may not honor the odd/even
rule, and if I recall correctly this requirement has been relaxed a bit in
H.323 (correct me if I am wrong). It has been suggested in a few occasions
that the odd/even rule is an RTP rule and not an H.225.0 despite the fact
that it is mentioned in the spec.
Also it is not only "+1", rather the following odd number since the "+1"
port may be busy.
You can specify an RTCP odd address in OLC for RTCP receive reports and once
you get the OLC from the remote endpoint, use the same odd RTCP for Tx
reports, and use the lower even number for RTP port and that way you will
still be fully compliant.

Here is an example

START_PDU: ============================= START PDU
============================