G.723.1 vs. G.723

Paul Long plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Wed Oct 6 11:29:21 EDT 1999

What is the difference between G.723.1 and G.723? And I don't mean the
numerical difference, as in 0.1 :-) Are they the same thing, and people are
just being imprecise when they refer to G.723.1 as "G.723?" For SuperOp!
scheduling, they were both listed as two of the possible audio codecs, as if
they were different. Does anyone truly support G.723 but not G.723.1? If so,
I've never come across such an implementation. Also, what is the history of
G.723.1? I believe the current version is something called 5.1. Is this
correct? Were there some intermediate versions?

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.