H323 mobility: Summary of discussion

Barry Aronson baronson at ieee.org
Fri Nov 5 16:14:48 EST 1999

All,

I agree with Tom. We seem to be headed for designing an entire mobile
network within H.323 -- definitely a case of the tail wagging the dog. If
this was the desire, extending existing mobile networks (AMPS, GSM, etc.) to
include H.323 terminals would be simpler. That is, of course, unless you
wanted the terminals to be independent of the physical network from the
network layer on up. H.323 could do this if there was an underlying packet
based network -- probably IP. Using IP as a common network layer for both
wireless and wired terminals is of course all the rage these days. Given
that universal wireless terminals are been worked as part of IMT-2000 (and
3GPP, 3GPP-2, etc.), wouldn't it make sense to define the Annex H issues
being debated in the appropriate network groups?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought in Santiago the purpose of Annex H and
I was to make H.323 work within the context of a mobile terminal and/or
user, and also allow for service mobility. I don't think any of what is
being discussed for Annex H is necessary to achieve this.

Barry