RAS terminal and gateway discovery/registration messages

Gene Schroeder erschroeder at LUCENT.COM
Tue Nov 2 09:41:58 EST 1999

Regarding your first question, I believe that H.225 is simply saying that a physical
device can register as multiple logical endpoints, and this might be most common
for a GW or MCU.  It certainly doesn't mean that a PSTN GW would register once
for each line.  However, a GW could partition its lines in some way, and register
once for each grouping.  By the way, while it is not stated explicitly, I believe that
in practice a device that registers multiple times must use different transport
addresses (IP-port combination) in each registration, to allow each logical
endpoint to be individually addressed.

Regarding your second question, a GW might register an alias for administrative
or management purposes.

Gene Schroeder
elemedia
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Mohamed Mustafa <M.Mustafa at SDXPLC.COM>
    To: ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com <ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com>
    Date: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 6:50 AM
    Subject: RAS terminal and gateway discovery/registration messages

    Hi All,

    H.225.0 states that "one GRQ is sent per logical endpoint; thus an MCU or a Gateway might send many". Do I take it therefore, that a H.323-to-ISDN gateway with a maximum capacity of n lines must send n GRQ and RRQ messages; i.e., one for each line? If this is the case, can anyone shed any light on the reasoning behind it?

    Also, can anyone explain the relevance of the endpointAlias field in the GRQ message and the terminalAlias fields in the RRQ and RCF messages to a H.323 gateway application? After all, a gateway is supposed to be transparent to normal endpoints and does not need to be directly addressed by them.

    Thanks,

    Mohamed