H323 mobility: Summary of discussion

Roy, Radhika R, ALARC rrroy at ATT.COM
Fri Nov 5 17:34:47 EST 1999

Hi, Barry and All:

I am trying to understand what actually Barry's statement means: "I was to
make H.323 work within the context of a mobile terminal and/or user, and
also allow for service mobility."

Is not the case both AT&T and Nokia's proposal are considering? Both
proposals consider mobility in the context of H.323 mobility. The problems
that need to be solved for the call scenarios as follows:

1. H.323 mobile terminal to H.323 mobile Terminal and vice versa
2. H.323 mobile terminal to H.323 fixed terminal and vice versa

For interworking between H.323 (IP) network and cellular-PSTN/ISDN (APMS,
ANSI-41, GSM):

3. Non-H.323 mobile terminal (cellular-PSTN/ISDN) to mobile H.323 (IP)
terminal and vice versa
4.Non-H.323 mobile terminal (cellular-PSTN/ISDN) to fixed H.323 (IP)
terminal and vice versa

Both Nokia and AT&T proposals are addressing this problem. There is no
disagreement.

AT&T's proposal has provided a solution. Nokia's proposal is still in the
conceptual phase. When Nokia's proposal provides a solution, it will be
compared with the AT&T solution.

Motorola's proposal is also along this line of the above four items. All we
need to do is to compare solutions. For Motorola and AT&T, it is easy to do.
In fact, I have a proposal to Ed. We can do this very easily. I am sure if
all of you agree, we find a common solution through comparing these two
solutions.

Now we are waiting to see Nokia's complete solution. If Nokia's complete
solution is presented, we also compare 3 solutions, and we can find a common
solution.

If other companies provide complete solutions, we can also compare all
solutions together.

>From my point of view, a complete process is under way.

What is the problem then? All we need to see the proposals with complete
solutions (not philosophical or conceptual statements).

Please also see my reply to Tom Taylor.

Hope that you can also bring proposals with solutions. Please do not worry
about scope too much. Please see how Intel's proposal has created another
appendix in mobility. If you think that you have some ideas with solutions
like Intel, please provide to us. We will provide full attention to it.

Hope that this email will clarify your concern too.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy
AT&T