AW: presentationIndicator and Calling Party Number

Horvath Ernst ernst.horvath at SIEMENS.AT
Wed Nov 3 12:38:38 EST 1999

Paul,

from H.225.0 subclause 7.2.2 it is clear that the general encoding rules of
Q.931 apply. Setting bit 8 of octet 3 to 1 was correct as long as octet 3a
was forbidden in H.225.0. Now, since octet 3a is allowed, bit 8 must follow
the rules for an extension bit.

I recognize your backwards compatibility issue, but a proper implementation
of Q.931 encoding and error rules should allow an old implementation to cope
with this situation gracefully.

Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG