presentationIndicator and Calling Party Number

Paul Long plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Wed Nov 3 11:33:22 EST 1999

H.225.0 has always required that the octet-3 extension bit in calling party
number be set to 1. Regardless of the reason for it being this way, setting
it to 0 renders an EP non-compliant and risks interoperability problems. In
addition, H.225.0 cannot be changed in this regard in a future version
without risking interoperability problems.

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Horvath Ernst [mailto:ernst.horvath at SIEMENS.AT]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 10:06 AM
To: ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
Subject: AW: presentationIndicator and Calling Party Number

Hi,

see inserted answers below.

Ernst Horvath
Siemens AG

[EH:] This can only be an oversight. The correct text must be for bit 8
of
octet 3: Set to '1' if octet 3a is not present, set to '0' otherwise.

> Second, I am also wondering why H.225.0 currently allows two
> methods for
> CLIP/CLIR indication:
> Octet 3a and the ASN.1 side presentationIndicator IE. OK, the standard
> states strictly that octet 3a overrides the other, and therefore there
> should not be insolvable conflicts at the receiving entity,
> but still why
> they were both included?

[EH:] H.225.0 allows two places to include calling party information
(both
optional): the Calling party number information element and the
sourceAddress field in User-user. The presentationIndicator field is
intended for the latter one.