RAS terminal and gateway discovery/registration messages

Gene Schroeder erschroeder at LUCENT.COM
Tue Nov 2 10:53:31 EST 1999

Rex,

I think we are talking about two meanings of registering multiple times.

I believe the proposals you mention relate to a single, (logical) endpoint
registering multiple times to augment alias lists, etc.  The key is that
for each registration, the gatekeeper is aware that the same logical
endpoint is involved, and it is simply augmenting/editing registration information
for an already-registered endpoint.

What I was trying to say was that if a physical device registers as if
it were multiple logical endpoints, then in practice the registrations can't
or shouldn't use the same transport address.  In this case, the gatekeeper is
not (in principle) aware that the same physical device is acting as multiple
endpoints.  Rather, it sees N independent RRQs.  If the RRQs share transport
addresses, things will probably not work as expected.  Now, per the proposals
you mention, each of these logical endpoints could themselves register multiple
times, but that is the other meaning of multiple....

Gene Schroeder
elemedia