H323mobility:meeting

Edgar Martinez [1] martinze at CIG.MOT.COM
Mon Nov 1 12:33:53 EST 1999

Dear Roy and Jaakko,

The information in Annex-H Draft all came from both TD16 and
TD42b. The HomeZone ID and VisitedZone ID are new concepts
used for H.323 mobility which is related to the functions we
all agreed was needed to provide mobility for the application point of view.
The new definition should not clash with the meaning of ZONE or
Domain in H.323. In any event, we need to defined the properties
of  the HomeZone ID, VisitedZone ID, Home Aera and Visited
Area. In the context of H.323 mobility and Interworking with PSTN.

---
New subject:

>Our first goal is to define a mobility architecture in the context of H.323.
>Our second goal is to interworking between the packet-based H.323 mobility
>architecture and circuit-switched based cellular-PSN/ISDN mobility
>architecture.

Motorola is looking at a full end-to-end fixed, wireless
and mobile full IP solution. Which includes interworking
as a major basic requirement.

We are not defining or designing a new IP system. Our
job is simply to add to the existing  IP infrastructure wireless access
and the mobility applications. And support interworking with the legacy
mobile systems. We and others are looking at providing the full package.

If we do not address the full solution now, I feel we leave the door
open for Hybrid systems, so-called network overlay or  work arounds.

I will oppose that Annex-H is complete. If we do not address the interworking
sections (as proposed in the TOR) within the same timeframe that we are defining

how to add the mobility functions to H.323.

Regards,
Ed

--
Edgar Martinez - Principal Staff Engineer
Email mailto:martinze at cig.mot.com
Public: TIPHON & Other Stds - http://people.itu.int/~emartine/
Private:TIPHON & Other Stds - http://www.cig.mot.com/~martinze/