H323mobility:meeting

Roy, Radhika R, ALARC rrroy at ATT.COM
Mon Nov 1 09:10:08 EST 1999

Hi, Ed, Jaakko, and All,

In H.323, zone and domain are well defined.

If we can solve mobility problems within the framework of H.323 as far as
practicable, we do not need to create new terminology in the context of
H.323 for now. Contributions (APC-1651/1652) have also been presented also
how H.323 mobility problems can be solved with the context of zones and
domains.

I understand that location area (LA) is also used in the cellular wireless
network.

If the new terminologis like location area (LA) are created for interworking
between cellular-PSTN and IP networking environments, we definitely need to
look into how "LA" is fitted in the context of zone or domain. However, zone
and domain are the fundamental concept of H.323 that always needs to be
related.

Our first goal is to define a mobility architecture in the context of H.323.
Our second goal is to interworking between the packet-based H.323 mobility
architecture and circuit-switched based cellular-PSN/ISDN mobility
architecture.

In H.323, a zone may consist of many networks (e.g., many IP subnetworks).
Do we need to create LAs within a zone? Will the LA be a good fit with that
of cellular network for interworking at this point of time because we have
not yet solved the basic problem in the context of H.323?

I had some initial discussion with Jaako in the last Red Bank meeting, but
we could not complete our discussion. My personal view has been that we may
need something like LA to further optimize the mobility problem within a
zone. For example, paging may be one of the reasons. However, I have
realized that this LA concept may be more important in the context of H.323
(IP) and cellular-PSTN interworking. So, my feeling has been that we may
need more functions similar to LA when interworking is concerned (Motorola's
contribution APC1646 is an example). The idea has been that we should
consider all those extensions in H.323 mobility architecture when we deal
with interworking (second phase).

Definitely, LA concept has some merits and we need to discuss it.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy
AT&T
+ 1 732 420 1580