Caller ID legal issues (was: caller ID and implementer's guid e)

John Talbot jptalbot at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Thu May 13 13:17:08 EDT 1999

Paul to answer your questions

        [Talbot, John [MAIFP:EP12:EXCH]]  The requirements themselves are
defined by government bodies, but allowing the protocol to support these
services is definitly a standards related issue since compiance to them is
faced by nearly every vendor.

> so we can end this thread if someone
> objects, but I was wondering about the legal ramifications of caller ID.
> Are
> there laws in some countries that require the following, or is it just
> considered good etiquette and/or a market-driven feature?
>
> Caller ID to be transmitted if provided by the caller
        [Talbot, John [MAIFP:EP12:EXCH]]  Yes that was the malicious call
identity service where if I harass someone using my phone the police can
trace who I am. Satisfying these services is traditionaly enshrined in
operator licenses.
> Caller ID not to be displayed to the called party if so requested by the
> caller ("presentation restricted")
        [Talbot, John [MAIFP:EP12:EXCH]]  Again, yes this comes under data
protection legislation which is enshrined in the voice telephony guidelines
and therefor governs most operators in Europe. I believe though that
compliance to this is not so strictly defined in the laws in North America,
if I dial a 1800 number, even if I restrict my number that restriction is
not honoured.