caller ID and implementer's guide

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed May 12 07:27:18 EDT 1999

Paul,

I disagree that these are proprietary solutions.

The first is a matter of policy and so falls into a slightly grey area, but
ideally the standard would say something like 'only send presentation
restricted information to an entity that you trust to honour the request.'

The second is definitely NOT an action you could take at a proprietary level
as the standards body still holds the right to define new IEs.  Any such
action would have to be approved by the standards body.  When I said '...YOU
could take further ownership...', the 'you' was intended to refer to SG16.

As such a change is small and localised, it would be safe to implement it
even if it was mentioned only in a determined document (which is the way the
procedure is supposed to work after all anyway!) which could be achieved at
the Chile meeting.  A fix in the ASN.1 would have to wait for the decided
version as that needs to wait until all such additions are present.

Pete

Pete Cordell
pete.cordell at btinternet.com