caller ID and implementer's guide

Paul Long Plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Thu May 6 16:59:14 EDT 1999

Glen,

Yes, this would definitely be a problem. As you know, 7.2.2.1/H.225.0v2 says,

"Information transfer capability (octet #3)
- The extension bit (bit 8) shall be set to '1'."

Our EP expects the remote entity to set it correctly. If it's not, we assume
that the SETUP is "bad" and clear the call by sending RELEASE COMPLETE.

This goes for all changes being considered: a new Recommendation revision can
augment and clarify but never modify the behavior defined by the previous
revision. There is so much development effort in the H.323 world that you
can't make a change simply because nobody responded to your query on the
reflector. Please do not risk breaking implementations by modifying the
Recommendation, no matter how obscure those modifications seem.

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Glen Freundlich [SMTP:ggf at LUCENT.COM]
        Sent:   Thursday, May 06, 1999 3:11 PM
        To:     ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
        Subject:        caller ID and implementer's guide

        At the Monterey meeting we discussed the possibility of an addition to
        the Implementer's Guide to support caller ID features (APC-1527).
        H.225.0 V2 (and V1) forbids the use of octet 3a in the Calling Party
        Number IE (and also specifies that the octet 3 extension bit shall be
        set to 1). The proposal calls for removing the restriction through the
        Implementer's Guide. (See also the meeting report in APC-1554b.)

        Fixing this brings up the possibility of interoperability problems
with
        existing products. Please respond if you think this change will be a
        problem. You can respond to me individually, rather than to the entire
        list, if you prefer.

        Thanks,
        Glen

        Glen Freundlich                           ggf at lucent.com
        Lucent Technologies                       office: +1 303 538 2899
        11900 N. Pecos                            fax: +1 303 538 3907
        Westminster, Colorado 80234  USA