Implementer's guide corrections for third-party pause

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BTINTERNET.COM
Tue May 25 11:54:14 EDT 1999

Santo (and others),

Just to be clear, the proposed changes are replacements for paragraphs 2 and
3 of the original section.  Paragraphs 1 and 4 are meant to remain and are
unchanged!

Responding to your comments Santo,...

The text you refer to should still be there in the correction (towards the
end).  (I pulled the text from H323V2DL-final-w6.doc.  If this is not the
latest version for V2, then the edits should be made to the newer version.)

As far as the transmit side state in phase B is concerned, the H.245 channel
is established and it's waiting for a TCS from the remote end prior to doing
OLC etc.  This will be the non-empty TCS that unpauses it.  So really the
sequence is - see non-empty TCS, initialise tx state, process non-empty TCS.
(Note that the fourth paragraph of the original text - not included in the
correction - further confirms that an endpoint does not need to send TCS.)

As far as MSD is concerned, your right, it's a bit unclear whether this is a
transmit side, receive side, or both side thing (latter is probably the
closest).  Therefore, the text "...When leaving the paused state an endpoint
shall take part in master/slave determination signalling..." is meant to
mean that it performs MSD.  (I would prefer that MSD was only done if there
were a specific need to do it, - i.e. an MC's involved or bi-directional
channels are being opened - but that's an issue for another day!)  I can now
see that the text can be interpreted as saying, 'if you receive an MSD you
have to respond but otherwise you don't need to do anything with MSD'.   The
intention of the original text is more proactive than this and perhaps it
should have read "...When leaving the TRANSMITTER SIDE paused state an
endpoint shall INITIATE master/slave determination signalling...".

I hope this clears things up for you,

Pete

Pete Cordell
pete.cordell at btinternet.com