H.GCP / Megacop capabilities desctriptors issue

Hong Liu lhong at RESEARCH.TELCORDIA.COM
Mon May 10 15:39:41 EDT 1999

Gur,

Thanks for writing up the informal discussion we had last week in Bangkok
during the ETSI TIPHON meeting there. However, I would like to clarify what we
had discussed there during a brief coffee break, which seems to be quite
different than what you summarized in the email.

First of all, I would like to point out that this was an INFORMAL meeting and
the meeting was very brief (less than 30 mins I believe). It just so happened
that some of us were in Bangkok attending ETSI TIPHON meeting, and we were
available for a discussion on SDP vs. H.245. What we agreed there should not be
contrued or perceived as the position statements from ETSI TIPHON. (This is to
clarify with the people on the list who were not in that meeting.)

Second, what we had agreed, as I recalled, is that there is a need to address
the capability description issue in SDP in the MEGACO/H.GCP work. That is the
only agreement we had in that meeting. Nothing more, nothing less. We also
discussed referring to a capability by name or by value, but no conclusion was
made. By the same token, we discussed the issue of state synchronization
between MGC and MG, as an example of capability description exchange. But
again, no conclusion was made. In short, all we agreed is that there is a
technical problem that needs to be addressed.

So the only relevant part of your email regarding the meeting is the last part
(after I am suggesting that:...), even though I disagree with some of the
wording there (see above). The arguments you made in the email (points 1-6)
were only your personal opinions, which shall not be interpreted as the general
agreements among the participants in that meeting.

Finally, I would say that the email address you used is somewhat confusing. I
guess it would be better if you identify yourself in the email.

Regards,

--Hong