Plea for no macros in Annex G

Pete Cordell pete.cordell at BTINTERNET.COM
Thu May 27 05:05:55 EDT 1999

Dear SG16ers,

This is probably a bit late, but I was reading through Annex G and noted
that there were a few macros used (principally for CryptoH323Token).  These
make it much harder to write a compiler.  If it is still an intention to
have Annex G widely accepted by making the message encoding easier, then
removing the macros would help greatly to this end.

I can't find a recent copy of H.235, but if memory serves me right, I feel
that CryptoH323Token could be written out long hand with no loss of
functionality, although the definition wouldn't be so brief.

For signing messages I would propose allowing a message to contain more than
one separately encoded ASN.1 chunk.  The main bit would be the message,
either raw or encrypted.  The other optional bit would be a security
definition, including signatures, and possibly key ids etc.  There may also
be a need for a third un-signed or plain text ASN.1 chunk to allow
gatekeepers and other entities to modify message contents without
invalidating any signatures.

Be latedly yours,

Pete

Pete Cordell