Caller ID legal issues (was: caller ID and implementer's guide)

Paul Long Plong at SMITHMICRO.COM
Thu May 13 10:41:28 EDT 1999

(I am straying from the original topic, so I changed the Subject.)

This is not a standards-related issue, so we can end this thread if someone
objects, but I was wondering about the legal ramifications of caller ID. Are
there laws in some countries that require the following, or is it just
considered good etiquette and/or a market-driven feature?

Caller ID to be transmitted if provided by the caller

Caller ID not to be displayed to the called party if so requested by the
caller ("presentation restricted")

Paul Long
Smith Micro Software, Inc.

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Chris Purvis [SMTP:Chris.Purvis at MADGE.COM]
        Sent:   Thursday, May 13, 1999 8:28 AM
        To:     ITU-SG16 at MAILBAG.INTEL.COM
        Subject:        Re: caller ID and implementer's guide

        Pete,

        Just a note about the security matter you mention.
        Some PC based H.323 endpoints allow one, with just a little knowledge,
        persuade them to output debugging which includes all elements of
decoded
        RAS/Q.931-H.225.0/H.245 messages.  This is clearly "undesirable" when
        security of information contained in such messages is required!  It
also
        might be quite hard for some people to switch off.
        I don't have a solution to this: I just raise it as an issue.

        Regards,
        Chris
        --
        Dr Chris Purvis - Senior Development Engineer, WAVE CC Software
        Madge Networks Ltd, Wexham Springs, Framewood Road, Wexham, Berks.
        Phone: +44 1753 661 359  email: cpurvis at madge.com