H.245 In the Media Gateway

Tom-PT Taylor taylor at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Wed May 12 14:18:02 EDT 1999

This note is just a heads-up to prime discussion of one issue related to
Gateway decomposition.  It is clear that at least under some circumstances
(e.g. MCUs), it is highly desirable to co-locate H.245 signalling with the
Media Gateway function.  This is specifically to take the higher-layer
resource control off the critical path for functions such as
frame-associated signalling.  What I hope we can put together is a clear
picture of exactly what has to be sent up to higher-layer resource control
as information only, what has to be sent up for higher-layer decision, and
what doesn't have to be sent at all.  For instance, does higher-layer
resource control have to know about the outcome of master-slave
negotiations?  Does it have to participate?

Tom Taylor
E-mail: taylor at nortelnetworks.com  (internally Tom-PT Taylor)
Tel.: +1 613 736 0961     (ESN 396-1490)
FAX: same number by prior arrangement (manual answer).