Multimedia (was Re: Megaco Protocol - IETF/ITU conf call minu tes)

Tom-PT Taylor taylor at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Wed Mar 31 21:56:29 EST 1999

Single-medium contexts as a representaion scheme are orthogonal to the
question of multimedia.  Multimedia implies
(a) multiple media types
(b) coordination between them.

If I have multiple contexts, each devoted to one medium, that satisfies (a).
One suggestion on the call was to do that, then add a context attribute
which linked together different contexts.  This is a possible solution to
(b).

My personal feeling is that the single-medium context is a good direction to
explore, because in the degenerate (audio-only) case it turns out simply.
The open question, of course, is whether it introduces too many problems of
coordination.  I'm hoping to work through the two test cases I posed before
the Minneapolis meeting to see.