H.323/VoIP QoS

Roy Spitzer rspitzer at TELOGY.COM
Wed Mar 3 13:23:11 EST 1999

Joon,

Telogy would like to join this effort.

Regards,
Roy

Roy Spitzer                             Telogy Networks, Inc.
Phone:  (301) 515-6531                  20250 Century Blvd.
Fax:    (301) 515-7954                  Germantown, MD 20874
Email:  rspitzer at telogy.com

-----Original Message-----
From:   Joon Maeng [mailto:Joon_Maeng at VTEL.COM]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 03, 1999 11:40 AM
To:     ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.INTEL.com
Subject:        H.323/VoIP QoS

Greetings!  My name is Joon Maeng.  I work for VTEL Corp in USA. I've talked
several companies while I was attending ITU and IETF meetings about
establishing
an ad-hoc group to address QoS (Quality of Service) issues in TRANSPORTING
REAL-TIME TRAFFICS in the packet switched network, especially in the IP
network.
I was very encouraged by responses from those companies.  Most of them
agreed
that lack of QoS support for real-time traffics  was one of major barriers
in
deploying H.323/VoIP products and  the H.323 industry would benefit by
having a
QoS activity group.  I would like to ask if your company would be interested
in
the activities described in the following:

Proposed name of the group: H.323/VoIP QoS Activity Group.

Motivation:  ITU defined a good conference standard, H.323, for the packet
network.  IETF is actively defining QoS standards for the IP network. The
deployment of H.323/VoIP products has been slow partially due to lack of QoS
supports in current IP network.  The H.323/VoIP industry shall work together
access the issues and provide solutions for the users.

Proposed charter of the group:
- Assess QoS issues in transporting real-time traffics (calls with
long-duration
compared to web-access) in the IP network,
- Find the solutions to resolve issues,
- Execute solutions via various processes such as building consensus on
various
QoS solutions among participants,
  submitting recommendations to standardization bodies if needed, and
facilitating inter-operablity testing between QoS standards and application
  standards,
- and education,  promotion, etc.

I would expect the final charter and the structure of the group will be
determined by the participants and their interests.    I would say that
everything is open at this time except that the industry shall look at the
QoS
issues seriously for real-time traffics.  I'd like to clarify that the
proposed
group is not a group to standardize the QoS.  It is a group or a forum that
is
interested in helping and promoting the real-time QoS for H.323/VoIP
industry
through various methods (to be determined).   I plan to set up an email
reflector for the initial discussions among participants and decide the
following steps based on the discussions. Please email me (joon_maeng@
vtel.com)
if you and your company would be interested in joining the initial talks via
email reflector.   Your comments and suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.
Regards,
Joon