AW: H.323 multipoint conference with consultation calls?

Klaghofer Karl ICN IB NL IP 7 Karl.Klaghofer at VS.SIEMENS.DE
Wed Mar 3 12:53:53 EST 1999

Hans,

To make use of the conference "invite" approach, you always have to have
"created" (conference create) a two party conference before.

Here is my understanding of the proposal of the TD-26 Monterey how to make
use of the conference invite function (H.323 clause 8.4.3) for Conference
out of Consultation:
Precondition: A has put B on hold (call #1)  and consults to C (call #2).
Upon conference request by user A while being in consultation,  endpoint A
has now to send a new SETUP (call #3) with conference "create" to an MCU.
Afterwards endpoint A sends a further SETUP (#4) with conference "invite" to
the MCU (causing the MCU to call B). Furthermore A has to send another SETUP
(#5) to the MCU causing the MCU to call C. Finally you end up having calls
between the MCU and the endpoints A, B and C.

However, with the current draft H.450.8 approach, the SETUP#3 sent from A to
the MCU includes all the information (h450 operation) the MCU needs to
complete the conference. If the MCU does not understand this optimized
procedure, a fallback to H.225.0 procedures is defined.

Your question on adding further users D, E, ...:
Once the multipoint conference is in place, draft H.450.8 defines to make
use of existing conference "invite" function to add further parties. This
proposal was made to re-use existing H.225.0 functions as far as possible at
this stage.
According to your suggestion, a H.450 operation could be defined very easily
(to be sent from a conferee (A, B or C) to the MCU in a FACILITY causing the
MCU to call user D). This would especially make sense if the user A decides
to add a couple of users (D, E, F and G) to an existing multipoint
conference in one step (this is very likely at a PC based H.323 client where
the user A may select 4 additional users and clicks the "add to conference"
button. It would save 4 SETUPs compared to the current description.

Regards,
Karl

Karl Klaghofer, Siemens AG, Dpmt. ICN IB NL IP7
Hofmannstr. 51, D-81359 Munich, Germany
Tel.: +49 89 722 31488, Fax.: +49 89 722 37629
e-mail: karl.klaghofer at vs.siemens.de