H.320 gateways a MEGACO / ITU

Melinda Shore shore at ITHACA-VIENNASYS.COM
Wed Mar 31 09:19:39 EST 1999

At 11:14 AM 3/31/99 +0200, Ami Amir wrote:
>There are many who feel that ASN.1 is too heavy and complex for simple
>devices, and should be avoided. This was one of the major reasons for the
>emergence of SIP.

There's another problem - the use of PER combined with protocol-
embedded addresses greatly complicates operation through firewalls.
Not that I'm a fan of text-based protocols - I absolutely am not.
But PER-encoded signaling streams could force the use of firewall
proxies, which has unfortunate performance implications.

I'm not certain that I understand the point about transcoding -
it's going to have to take place, anyway, whether the megaco protocol
is text-based or not.

Melinda Shore
Member of the Scientific Staff
Nokia IP Telephony