H.320 gateways

John Segers jsegers at lucent.com
Wed Mar 31 08:37:48 EST 1999

Brian,

Your argument for the second approach (separate terminations for each of
the streams) makes sense.  I agree that it's not very nice to have each
termination describe audio, video and data parameters.  Can't we have
set the audio termination's video and data parameters to "null",
allowing the MGC to know that it represents the audio stream?

Note that in this approach, there are multiple terminations (the
H.320/audio, H.320/video, H.320/data) associated with one physical
endpoint.  This suggests having all terminations as ephemeral entities,
one of their properties being the transport addresses and type of
network they use.  I realize that this is rather a large step away from
the current protocol document.  But is there another way to solve this?

In my previous message I showed a diagram in which the video stream was
split up over two ports.  If we want to model such a multi-port video
stream by means of one termination,  the termination has to be
associated to multiple ports.  This is currently not possible, but I see
no other way to do it.  Any thoughts?

John

John Segers                                  email: jsegers at lucent.com