FW: Where H.245 goes - MG or MGC (Skran's comments)

Tom-PT Taylor taylor at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Wed Mar 10 13:07:48 EST 1999

I think this sums things up.  There was absolutely no intention that we
mandate that H.245 be co-located with the MG.  The only question was whether
we would even consider it as an option.  I think the answer is yes, but SG
16 has some issues to work out before it becomes a real priority for Megaco.
These relate to definition of SG 16's interfaces B (occurs if H.225.0 call
signalling is co-located with the MG) and E (occurs if H.245 is co-located
with the MG).  These interfaces are additional to the device control
interface A, but will share the transport and do need to be coordinated with
it.  It is not our job to define what goes across those interfaces; the
content will be tightly coupled to H.323.

Until the definition of the messaging across those interfaces is well-begun,
I'd say our main concern is what I stated in the first place: to make sure
that our protocol is modular enough that parts of it can be left unused if
the MG is designed to respond autonomously to H.245 messaging.  The second
possible requirement is to think about how to coordinate device control
messaging with other messaging happening between the same boxes (e.g.
back-hauled SCN signalling).  Beyond that, I can't see any need to add
anything to our protocol to support this option beyond the ability to
negotiate its use.