Invitation via Gatekeeper

Chris Purvis CPurvis at MADGE.COM
Fri Mar 5 12:20:08 EST 1999

Radhika, Gary,

H.323v2, section 6.7:
"The MCU is an endpoint which provides support for multipoint conferences.
The MCU shall consist of an MC and zero or more MPs."
Note that the phrase used is "consist of", not "contain".  If an MCU is an
endpoint, it is callable (I think we're agreed on that).  If it consists of
an MC and zero or more MPs, that means it must still be callable when it
consists of only an MC.  Therefore the MC is the part of an MCU that is
callable.  Hence an MC MAY be a callable entity.
The wider point is that my understanding was that all control signalling
done by an MCU was done by the MC part of it (again on the basis of those
two sentences).
If this is inconsistent with other parts of the standard, then it certainly
needs to be fixed (please give references); if it is consistent with the
rest of the standard, but not what was intended, then we need to reconsider
what we really want.

For the case under discussion I'd agree with Gary that it's a minor semantic
quibble (and as such I was planning to allow Gary's mail on its own to pass
without comment), but if there's the possibility of it becoming more than
that maybe we ought to clear it up.

Regards,
Chris