H.323/VoIP QoS

Ying, Wen-Ping wen-ping.ying at ATTWS.COM
Thu Mar 4 15:35:16 EST 1999

Joon,

I am a bit confused by the charter of this proposed group, but in general, I
am very interested in having a place to discuss generic QoS issues related
to voice over a packet data network.

Are you planning to include the following topics in your proposed group
discussion?

1. VoIP flow reserving resource (flow based RSVP interacting with QoS aware
switch/router , SLA based diffserv, SLA based MPLS) - will this group be
recommending the model, or will it discuss the pros/cons or
interoperability?
2. switch/router resource mgmt (MPLS, Constrained-Based MPLS, diffserv,
etc.) - ditto
3. Control of the resource allocation (GK/GW/H.323 endpoints) - problems
such as GK granting the bandwidth without having the real control on actual
usage (bandwidth mgmt with collaboration from many components.)
4. speech coding/quality - encourage single LBRV to reduce transcoding.
5. absolute delay control.
6. echo cancellation problem with the existence of large jitter.
7. transport efficiency - concerns about header overhead that triggers the
proposed solution hop2hop header compression (rfc-2508) and the recent work
in MEGACO regarding g.729/udp/rtp/ip/atm & g.729/aal2/atm interworking.

Regards,

Wen-Ping Ying
AT&T Wireless Services
PO Box 97059