H.323/VoIP QoS (further to Randy Bloomfield's note)

Tony.Pillai at TELLABS.COM Tony.Pillai at TELLABS.COM
Thu Mar 4 13:00:03 EST 1999

Please do not include me in your future e-mails.

-----Original Message-----
From: ehauch
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 1999 3:50 PM
To: Joon.Maeng
Cc: ehauch; diff-serv-interest; h323implementors; interwkg; voip;
int-serv; neal; ITU-SG16; t1a12; t1a15; mpls
Subject: Re: H.323/VoIP QoS (further to Randy Bloomfield's note)

Joon,

My name is Eric Hauch.  I am the current Ad Hoc Group leader for a
Working Group T1A1.5 activity that appears to closely parallel your
initiative.

Committee T1 (of which TSC T1A1 is part) is an open standards forum
sponsored by the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions
(ATIS) and accredited by the American National Standards Institute
(ANSI).  As such, Committee T1 is the ANSI authority in the United
States for defining telecommunications interface and performance
standards.  Committee T1 TSC's are also a key source of research and
advice to the US State Department's delegations to the ITU - and have
formal liaisons with the IETF.

The current Ad Hoc Group work on defining multimedia performance
requirements for business quality conferences carried over IP based
networks is part of addressing these standards setting
responsibilities.  We very much share the reasons you state for needing
these QoS standards soon.

The work of the MMoIP Ad Hoc Group is about 60% complete (i.e. we're
just over half way to making a recommendation to send our draft
standard to T1 letter ballot).  The last Ad Hoc group conference call
was Feb 25, 99 - the next, Apr 1, 99.  Attendance and participation in
any T1 activity is completely open.  Voting at the TSC and T1 levels is
by membership (for example, VTel is a member of T1A1).

You can find out more about TSC T1A1, WG T1A1.5 and the Ad Hoc Group
activities (through the posted documentation) at www.t1.org.  As past
chair of WG T1A1.5, I have enjoyed VTel's excellent past contributions
to our efforts and have been very supportive and encouraging of VTel's
particpation in this particular Ad Hoc group.  To the extent your
initiative indicates a renewed interest on your part and others in your
industry segment, I am delighted - and encourage and welcome all of you
to work with us.

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Eric G. Hauch
Vice-Chair T1A1
615-532-2365
ehauch at mail.state.tn.us

>>> "Joon Maeng" <Joon_Maeng at vtel.com> 03/03 10:40 AM >>>
Greetings!  My name is Joon Maeng.  I work for VTEL Corp in USA. I've
talked to
several companies while I was attending ITU and IETF meetings about
establishing
an ad-hoc group to address QoS (Quality of Service) issues in
TRANSPORTING
REAL-TIME TRAFFICS in the packet switched network, especially in the IP
network.
I was very encouraged by responses from those companies.  Most of them
agreed
that lack of QoS support for real-time traffics  was one of major
barriers in
deploying H.323/VoIP products and  the H.323 industry would benefit by
having a
QoS activity group.  I would like to ask if your company would be
interested in
the activities described in the following:

Proposed name of the group: H.323/VoIP QoS Activity Group.

Motivation:  ITU defined a good conference standard, H.323, for the
packet
network.  IETF is actively defining QoS standards for the IP network.
The
deployment of H.323/VoIP products has been slow partially due to lack
of QoS
supports in current IP network.  The H.323/VoIP industry shall work
together to
access the issues and provide solutions for the users.

Proposed charter of the group:
- Assess QoS issues in transporting real-time traffics (calls with
long-duration
compared to web-access) in the IP network,
- Find the solutions to resolve issues,
- Execute solutions via various processes such as building consensus on
various
QoS solutions among participants,
  submitting recommendations to standardization bodies if needed, and
facilitating inter-operablity testing between QoS standards and
application
  standards,
- and education,  promotion, etc.

I would expect the final charter and the structure of the group will be
determined by the participants and their interests.    I would say that
everything is open at this time except that the industry shall look at
the QoS
issues seriously for real-time traffics.  I'd like to clarify that the
proposed
group is not a group to standardize the QoS.  It is a group or a forum
that is
interested in helping and promoting the real-time QoS for H.323/VoIP
industry
through various methods (to be determined).   I plan to set up an email
reflector for the initial discussions among participants and decide the
following steps based on the discussions. Please email me (joon_maeng@
vtel.com)
if you and your company would be interested in joining the initial
talks via
email reflector.   Your comments and suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.
Regards,
Joon

 << File: Re_ H.TXT >>