H.323/VoIP QoS

Roy, Radhika R, ALCOO rrroy at ATT.COM
Wed Mar 3 18:22:50 EST 1999

Hi Scott:

I guess that H.323 is a transport independent multimedia (audio, video,
and/or data) application. That is, H.323 can be transferred over any packet
network (e.g., IP, ATM, etc). So, one of the most important aspects of H.323
is to define signaling messages that will carry the QOS information at the
H.323 application level. H.323 will then signal the underlying transport
network to support the appropriate QOS.

I think that SG16 will limit their multimedia QOS activities at the H.323
application layer.

Now how this H.323 application level QOS information will be implemented
over a specific network layer can be implementation specific.

For example, if it is an Internet/IP network, IETF's DiffServ, RSVP,
intserv, and other QOS related services can be used by H.323's application
level QOS signaling messages.

Similarly, ATM network's QOS related services can also be used by the
H.323's application level signaling messages.

My view is that H.323's application level QOS work is intended to complement
all QOS related works that are being carried out at the lower "network layer
(e.g., IP/Internet, ATM, etc.)" in all standard bodies/forums (e.g., IETF,
ATM Forum, T1A1, TIPHON, IMTC, MSAF, etc.).

I do agree with you that no work should be undertaken that becomes counter
productive with respect to on-going works of IETF, ATM Forum, T1A1, TIPHON,
IMTC, MSAF, and other standard bodies/forums.

My view is that only complementary solutions should be considered.

With respect to H.323 QOS activity group's membership (per Joon Maeng's
email), I am not sure what actually it means. I thought that it might be a
part of the activities of SG16 to address QOS related issues at the H.323
application layer. Joon Maeng may elaborate more on that.

Regards,
Radhika