H.323/VoIP QoS

Peter Tam ptam at NORTELNETWORKS.COM
Wed Mar 3 12:43:53 EST 1999

Joon:

Please count me in. Thanks.
Regards..... Peter Tam,
                     Nortel Networks
Email:  ptam at nortelnetworks.com

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Joon Maeng [SMTP:Joon_Maeng at vtel.com]
        Sent:   Wednesday, March 03, 1999 11:40 AM
        To:     mpls at UU.NET; ITU-SG16 at mailbag.cps.intel.com; voip at imtc.org;
interwkg at imtc.org; h323implementors at imtc.org; 'T1A1.2 e-mail reflector';
diff-serv-interest at BayNetworks.COM; int-serv at isi.edu
        Subject:        H.323/VoIP QoS

        Greetings!  My name is Joon Maeng.  I work for VTEL Corp in USA.
I've talked to
        several companies while I was attending ITU and IETF meetings about
establishing
        an ad-hoc group to address QoS (Quality of Service) issues in
TRANSPORTING
        REAL-TIME TRAFFICS in the packet switched network, especially in the
IP network.
        I was very encouraged by responses from those companies.  Most of
them agreed
        that lack of QoS support for real-time traffics  was one of major
barriers in
        deploying H.323/VoIP products and  the H.323 industry would benefit
by having a
        QoS activity group.  I would like to ask if your company would be
interested in
        the activities described in the following:

        Proposed name of the group: H.323/VoIP QoS Activity Group.

        Motivation:  ITU defined a good conference standard, H.323, for the
packet
        network.  IETF is actively defining QoS standards for the IP
network. The
        deployment of H.323/VoIP products has been slow partially due to
lack of QoS
        supports in current IP network.  The H.323/VoIP industry shall work
together to
        access the issues and provide solutions for the users.

        Proposed charter of the group:
        - Assess QoS issues in transporting real-time traffics (calls with
long-duration
        compared to web-access) in the IP network,
        - Find the solutions to resolve issues,
        - Execute solutions via various processes such as building consensus
on various
        QoS solutions among participants,
          submitting recommendations to standardization bodies if needed,
and
        facilitating inter-operablity testing between QoS standards and
application
          standards,
        - and education,  promotion, etc.

        I would expect the final charter and the structure of the group will
be
        determined by the participants and their interests.    I would say
that
        everything is open at this time except that the industry shall look
at the QoS
        issues seriously for real-time traffics.  I'd like to clarify that
the proposed
        group is not a group to standardize the QoS.  It is a group or a
forum that is
        interested in helping and promoting the real-time QoS for H.323/VoIP
industry
        through various methods (to be determined).   I plan to set up an
email
        reflector for the initial discussions among participants and decide
the
        following steps based on the discussions. Please email me
(joon_maeng@ vtel.com)
        if you and your company would be interested in joining the initial
talks via
        email reflector.   Your comments and suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.
        Regards,
        Joon